Fredericks Coffee House
- Telephone 0131 260 9997
- Opening times Mon–Fri: 9am–6pm; Sat/Sun: 10am–6pm
- Seasonal times Will be opening 8am–8pm in summer – dates TBC
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–6pm. [Extended in summer]
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.frederickscoffeehouse.com
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
The town centre has an odd dearth of good independent cafés, so recently opened Frederick’s is a very welcome addition. Although it might take a while properly to find its feet, it’s already a great perch from which to enjoy the New Town views and have a shopping tea break. The cheerful blue walls, jazzy chairs and bright cushions attract a young crowd, and serving some lovely Pekoe teas and Artisan Roast coffee shows a clear effort to showcasing the best of Edinburgh beverages. The menu is light and concise for continental breakfast, lunch or a snack. A roast beef and rocket pitta with nostril-stripping Dijon is slightly let down by a deluge of oil from undrained sundried tomatoes, and the ‘house’ dressing on the smoked salmon and feta salad appears to be simple olive oil and balsamic. Ingredients are good, however, and the broccoli and leek soup of the day is a dream. There’s handmade baking, and a disappointingly un-carroty carrot cake appears to be an exception: banoffee pie is wolfable, and comes with good ice-cream.
- High point: Cheerful and relaxing spot that promises good things
- Low point: Needs more staff at peak times to improve service
- Delivery: Free
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Absolute Radio
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 28