- Telephone 0141 222 2076
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–6pm; Sat 9.30am-5pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £5.85 (set lunch)
- Website www.lauriescoffee.com
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
With its no-nonsense décor and various-shades-of-beige colour scheme, Laurie's may at first sight seem a functional place for busy office workers to grab a routine filled roll. Closer inspection reveals its creative side, however: the sandwiches, whether sourdough, baguettes, panini or focaccia, all boast inventive names like Man from La Mancha – chicken, chorizo, roast peppers and mozzarella, and Blazing Saddles – a spicy and filling combination of meatballs, mozzarella, jalapeños and barbecue sauce, and a dazzling array of cakes, baked fresh every day, sit seductively near the window. Although flair is the exception here, that's no bad thing: in a transient café world where great places often close or go downhill quickly, reliability is a key ingredient. The coffee is another solid performer and is served in normal-sized cups instead of half-litre bowls. Above-average quality, decent prices, a bit of flair but, above all, consistency.
- High point: Solid but not boring
- Low point: Décor could be made as delectable as the cakes
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Live entertainment: Hope to have once-a-month poetry readings, contemporary dance between 6.30-10.30pm
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 12-15
- Open since: 2011