The Butterfly and the Pig
- Telephone 0141 221 7711
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–1am; Fri/Sat 11–3am; Sun 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–8pm
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £17.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95 (1 course with sml wine)
- Website www.thebutterflyandthepig.com
Chintzy décor meets granny's home cooking in this famous basement-level bar-cum-restaurant.
The antithesis of almost all other bars surrounding it, the Butterfly and the Pig sits quaintly adorned with flowers and accoutrements as you enter, almost preparing you for the retro standing lamps, tablecloths and doilies that abound indoors. While the literal menu can be a little jarring at first, it holds some rather interesting choices. The starter of black pudding, apple and bacon salad with a quail’s egg on top is lighter than you’d imagine but is merely preparation for the huge steak pie or fish and chips on the mains. The Spanish Caravan, a mix of chorizo, tomato, baby potatoes, has returned to the menu and is the real favourite here. The beer and rum selections are varied and vast with the almost caramel flavoured Chieftain IPA on draught, a selection of Williams Bros best in bottles and Dark Matter from the sole rum distillery in Scotland.
- Private dining: Tea room - 35, Room13 - 14, Boardroom - 24, Drawing Room - 45.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Traditional and retro rock n' roll music.
- Live entertainment: Mon Pub Quiz.Tue open mic; Wed–Sat swing, jazz, folk,blues, rockabilly, DJs Sunday.
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Time for tea, at last - the best tea rooms23 Jul 2009
Let’s play word association. Tea and … well, there’s coffee, and for the last decade or two we’ve been in a mocha monopoly with coffee chains over-populating our high streets, railway stations, book shops and most places in between. Tea and…