Green Chilli Café
- Telephone 0141 337 6378
- Food served Tue–Thu 4–10.30pm, Fri–Sun noon–10.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tues–Thu 4–10.30pm; Fri–Sat noon–6.30pm; Sun noon–10.30pm
- Average price £14 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95 (three tapas)
- Website www.greenchillicafe.com
Finnieston curryhouse offering a vast menu of Indian favourites, also available as small plates
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Finnieston plays host to a healthy selection of Glasgow’s finest Indian restaurants. Green Chilli Café, immediately opposite Ashoka and a short walk from Mother India has been helped rather than hindered by the competition. The thorough menu can be served tapas style (Tapas Madness on Monday and Tuesday evenings offers a selection of starters and curries at just £2.50 a plate) or as traditional main courses. Sauces are well devised and care has been taken to ensure they are served with the most appropriate meat or vegetable. The paneer makhni for example is a perfect combination, the cheese bringing out a creaminess in a sauce ordinarily paired with lentils. For diners who prefer to have it their way, a section of ‘old favourites’ can be mixed and matched with you choice of meat or veg. The main restaurant is situated on the upper level allowing diners to watch the hubbub of Argyle Street from an elevated position. Depending on where you are seated you can even glimpse the Glasgow University tower through the tenements opposite.
- High point: Good vegetarian selection
- Low point: Tapas portions could be a bit bigger
- Notable dish: Paneer makhni
- Delivery: £1.75, 6-mile radius (G1 to G14)
- Private dining: 30 and 35
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Live entertainment: none
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle