Green Chilli Café
- Telephone 0141 337 6378
- Food served Tue–Thu 4–10pm, Fri–Sun noon–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 4–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–6pm; Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre price £12 (three tapas)
- Website www.greenchillicafe.co.uk
Budget tapas curries and clay-cooked tandoori dishes in the shadow of Kelvingrove Park
Where Dumbarton Road meets Argyle Street a small shop front gives way to this unassuming and surprisingly roomy establishment. The food in this contemporary curry house is served in a tapas style (aside from Saturday and Sunday evening) and five dishes, plus sides, are recommended for a pair sharing. For those who overestimate the size of their stomachs, the vigilant staff are quick to advise, insisting on quality over quantity. A real high point of this West End spot are the friendly and forthcoming staff that know the menu like the back of their hands. They can describe and recommend dishes off the bat, which takes off the pressure of steering through the large and mouthwatering menu. A special selection of tandoori dishes, as well as the chilli paneer, keema mutta and gobhi gajar mutter jump off the page. When the dishes arrive, intermittently as is the tapas want, they are all enjoyably fresh, wholesome and nicely seasoned. The choice continues after the mains, for those still hungry, with a menu of ice-cream and sweet treats.
- Delivery: £2.50, 3-mile radius
- Private dining: 30 and 35
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 64
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £15.99 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.