- Telephone 0141 204 3444
- Food served Mon–Tue 6.15am–6pm; Wed–Fri 6.15am–9pm; Sat 10.30am–9pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times 5pm–7pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.operettaglasgow.co.uk
Operetta is a smart, large restaurant and café, which by day bustles with office workers grabbing soups, sandwiches or a quick pasta. In the evening the restaurant suffers a little atmospherically from its daytime existence – the large self-service counters are empty and music radio plays on the stereo. To start the fritto misto featured a lovely finger of tallegio cheese, a king prawn and some calamari all breaded and deep-fried. It is tasty and well cooked as are the prawns in garlic and chilli. The steak tips pappardella main features pasta with slices of quality fillet steak in a rich creamy sauce – perhaps a little too rich as it is in danger of overpowering the steak. The meringue – the only home-made dessert on offer – to follow was generous and gooey rather than chewy in the middle. It can all be washed down with a glass of decent house wine from a pretty good wine list featuring big hitters like Barolo at good restaurant prices.
- Delivery: None - Mainly delivering during the day to the office trade
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Magic Radio - Pop music
- Capacity: 145
- Largest group: 85
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle