- Telephone 0131 556 6224
- Opening times Tue–Thu 10am–5.30pm; Fri & Sat 10am–6pm; Sun 11am–5pm.
- Food served Tue–Thu 10am–5.30pm; Fri/Sat 10am–6pm; Sun 11am–5pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £8.70 (soup can be added for £1.75)
- Website www.cuckoosbakery.co.uk
Dainty tea and cake shop serving cupcakes, savouries and other treats to the yummy population of Edinburgh.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
At the foot of Dundas Street, this dainty little tea shop is a popular draw for the cake eaters of Edinburgh. Stepping into the perfectly pastel world of scrumptious treats, the cuckoo announces the hour and diddy little pots arrive conveying an impressive selection of teas sourced from local suppliers. The brunch features eggy French toast, crisp Ayrshire bacon and maple syrup, while lunch sees doorstep sandwiches, soups and melts all using equally high-quality ingredients. Cupcakes are clearly the star of the show. Regulars like Red Velvet and Vanilla Vanilla make way for guest stars such as the prize-winning raspberry and white chocolate. Across town, the cult of the cupcake endures in their Bruntsfield sister shop which opened its retro-cool doors in 2015. Focusing more on the cake side of the market, they are quickly enlisting the Southside’s yummy mummy population in the celebration of all things sweet.
- High point: Perfect spot for a super-cute afternoon tea
- Low point: Focused towards the sweet of tooth
- Notable dish: Raspberry and white chocolate cupcake
- Delivery: Anywhere within the Edinburgh Bypass; can be delivered within a couple of hours, online orders take 24 hours; minimum order 6 cupcakes; delivery charge £4.95–£6.95
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Doo Wop
- Capacity: 18
- Largest group: No reservations
- Open since: 2011