- Telephone 0131 315 2003
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–5pm. Closed Sun. Closed Sun.
- Average price £6.50 (lunch)
Good ingredients and friendly staff bring a steady flow of returning locals to this Comely Bank corner café / gift shop.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A reputation for home-baking and a wholesome community ethos bring in a steady flow of returning locals to this corner café and gift shop. Wooden tables and warm red walls make for a relaxed homely interior and a seat beside the expansive windows is a perfect opportunity for people watching in this sedate quarter of town, just away from the busy Stockbridge thoroughfare. A simple menu of sandwiches and soup uses bread from Au Gourmand and locally sourced chutneys and jams. Try the Mull Cheddar toastie with leeks, onion and garlic. Pudding provides a dilemma for the sweet-toothed with the likes of a densely rich beetroot and chocolate cake or an airy Victoria sponge. Though it may not be culinary genius, the combination of well-prepared, thoughtfully sourced ingredients and genuinely friendly staff make this a neighbourhood favourite.
- High point: Great value lunch served by friendly staff
- Low point: Child friendly but no high chair
- Notable dish: Chocolate and beetroot cake
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 15
- Open since: 2011