This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 222 2102
- Food served Mon 5–10pm, Tue–Fri noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–9pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £23.95 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £17.95
- Website www.tropeiro.co.uk
A Brazilian, all-you-can-eat barbecue, serving up tender cuts of meat, salad and cocktails a stone’s throw from the city centre.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The Glasgow branch of this Brazilian steakhouse chain (with three other branches in central and northern England) offers diners an endless feast of meat and salads – and there is a lot to sample. Once you have loaded up your plate with accompaniments such as red cabbage and beetroot salad, pickles and broccoli with red chilli, turn over the coaster provided to green for ‘hungry’ and let the meat feast commence – it won’t stop until you turn over to red for ‘full-up’. Up to 12 cuts of meat, cooked on an open fire and served at your table, are available in the ‘full rodizio’ so try everything – the picanha, beef rump seasoned with sea salt, garlic and olive oil, is particularly good. Other Brazilian hot dishes are also on offer including spicy pork casserole and traditional fish stew. The ‘rodizio completo’, costing £32.50 per person includes a welcome cocktail, meat and sides plus a dessert – so to get the best value out of Tropeiro it’s best visited when real justice can be done to the embarrassment of barbecue riches.
- High point: As much barbecue as you can handle
- Low point: Not ideal for vegetarians
- Notable dish: Brazilian fish stew made with tomatoes, coriander, coconut milk and peppers
- Private dining: N/A
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Traditional Brazilian/jazz
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle