- Telephone 0131 228 5700
- Opening times Mon–Wed noon–11.30pm; Thu & Sat noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sun noon–11pm.
- Seasonal times Christmas Day closed.
- Bar open Mon–Wed noon–11.30pm; Thu & Sat noon–midnight; Fri noon–1am; Sun 4pm–11.30pm
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm
- Average price £7 (lunch)
- Website www.thomsonsbaredinburgh.co.uk
Thomson’s Bar is a popular local on Morrison Street, decorated in the classical style of Alexander ‘Greek’ Thomson. The traditional pub specializes in Scottish cask ales and malt whisky, but the walls also drift a drinker’s eye: a curious blend of bygone booze and fag posters, live sport, and architectural features from a masonic pediment to oak panels. Thomson’s style is old school, with a no-nonsense lunch blackboard of soup, steak or haggis pies with beans and gravy, and beef or Quorn lasagne, and a distilled wine list: three red, three white. But the beer is why this bar is busy, with its changing menu of interesting British drafts, and new brew launches with free pizza and homemade beer snacks of eminently superior quality. Simply put, as the manager says, ‘it’s a pub for the people’.
Traditional pub in the heart of the city.
Text supplied by third party.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: No music.
- Capacity: 50
- Open since: 2000
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £12.70 per bottle