Bread Street Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 221 5558
- Bar open Mon–Sat 8am–1am; Sun 8am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–2.30pm, 5–10pm [Bar food served Mon–Sat 8am–10pm; Sun 8am–10pm].
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Sat 5–7pm.
- Average price £14 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £20
- Website doubletree3.hilton.com/en/…
Comfortable hotel brasserie with good options for vegans and those with gluten or nut allergies.
Handily located mid-way between the Grassmarket and the west end of Princes Street, the Bread Street Brasserie has claims as a stand-alone dining destination, though the fact that you enter via the Doubletree Hilton hotel reception does rather nail it as a hotel offshoot. That said, the brasserie is a smartly furnished and pleasant enough spot. Banquette seating and well-spaced tables are comfortable and the staff are keen to make your visit a success. The kitchen deserves praise for a menu that is alert to dietary sensibilities with vegetarian and gluten-free options flagged up, and a special vegan dinner once a month. The lunch and early evening fixed price deals lift a selection of dishes from the main à la carte, with a decent choice of four starters and mains, featuring the likes of beetroot-cured salmon, herb chicken with sweet tomato sauce and parmentier potatoes, and lemon drizzle cake or a cheeseboard with chutney and grapes to finish.
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 138
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Generic pop
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £19 per bottle
Reviews & features
Christmas Food Q&A: Morten Rengtved – Bread Street Brasserie17 Nov 2015
Chef Rengtved gives us his guide to a yummy yuletide
I'm planning a Christmas meal and want to offer a couple of unusual twists. What would you suggest? I would make Turkey spring roll with cranberry chutney and Christmas pudding strudel with brandy crème Anglaise and cinnamon ice-cream.