- Telephone 0131 337 7522
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–3pm, 5–11pm.
- Average price £9.90 (bento boxes); £20 (evening meal)
- Website haysushi-edinburgh.co.uk
Unfussy venue close to Haymarket station, popular with office workers and anyone looking for good value, good quality Japanese.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
With Haymarket station’s façade visible from your table, Hay Sushi is well situated for travellers seeking a quick lunch or a pre-evening bite to eat. The interior is simple and understated with a few flashes of neon, Japanese art and the ubiquitous paper lanterns which adorn the windows. Octopus balls are crisp golden orbs which belie the light and fluffy centres. Countered by tangy Tokyo sauce, they provide a filling and satisfying starter. Tuna sashimi is glossy, ruby-coloured and melts in the mouth. Seafood ramen is a rich and comforting broth with crunchy, breaded prawns, crab, seabass and squid on the side, which delivers up a generous and exceedingly filling meal. Moriawase tempura sees feathery battered prawns and wispy vegetables accompanied by a delicately seasoned dipping sauce. What the venue lacks in atmosphere, it makes up for with prompt and polite service.
- High point: Generous portions at good prices
- Low point: Can feel a little functional
- Notable dish: Octopus balls with Tokyo sauce
- Delivery: from £1.50
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 44
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle