- Telephone 0131 555 5908
- Food served Mon–Fri 9am–5pm; Sat/Sun 9am–6pm
- Average price £11 (lunch)
- Website www.mimisbakehouse.com
This naughty-but-nice family café whips up spectacular cakes and comforting savouries, served with a touch of 1950s glamour.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Cakes and tarts are the main event at this naughty-but-nice family-run café chain, which includes their Little Bakehouse in the Old Town and a brand-new branch in Corstorphine. It all started in the original Leith bakery though, with its views into the kitchen where you can watch a team of bakers whipping up platefuls of sugary creamy creations: diners at Mimi’s worship at a sponge altar. That’s not to say there isn’t a good choice of savouries on offer though. Homely standards such as macaroni cheese and stovies compete for attention alongside afternoon (or before noon if you prefer) teas piled high upon three-tiered cake trays. The portions are generous, but don’t worry if you can’t finish that last slice – the waiting staff will happily box it up for you to take away and enjoy later. Everything is made in-house from fresh, locally sourced ingredients including sausages, fruit and veg and cheese from Edinburgh. It’s a big and cheerful space but it gets busy, so book ahead.
- High point: Watching them make cake
- Low point: You can forget that diet
- Notable dish: Crispy buttermilk chicken bap
- Delivery: £3.95–£6.95
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: 1950s tunes
- Capacity: 90 (20 outside in the summer)
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…