- Telephone 0131 229 6758
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–6pm; Sat/Sun 9am–5pm
- Average price £7 (lunch)
Bruntsfield doesn't suffer from a lack of sociable coffee venues, but that hasn't deterred relative newcomer Project Coffee. Like sister businesses Kilimanjaro, Press and Wellington Coffee, they use beans from small artisanal roasters to make their excellent cuppas, including antipodean arrivals the flat white (cousin to the latte) and the long black (espresso added to hot water). Here, both are strong and full of flavour. This sparsely decorated but welcoming café doesn’t provide Wi-Fi, so it is abuzz with the gentle hum of chatter throughout the day. Those with a hunger to satisfy could do worse than grab a bite here too. There’s a breakfast menu, including a full veggie version and eggs benedict and florentine. Daily soups like hearty tomato and pancetta or tomato and basil, plus various sandwiches and paninis (e.g. sweet chilli chicken), are enjoyable and filling. Also on offer are freshly made smoothies and milkshakes, and if something a bit sweeter takes your fancy, a range of homemade cakes, such as a wonderfully moist carrot cake or sizeable slices of traybakes, are also on offer.
- High point: Knowledgeable and passionate about their main product
- Low point: Slow and somewhat disinterested service
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Staff iPod. Eclectic, unobtrusive mix at a reasonable volume.
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: no bookings
- Open since: August 2010