- Telephone 0131 281 0159
- Opening times Mon noon–6pm; Tue–Sat noon–10pm; closed Sun.
- Food served Mon noon–6pm; Tue–Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun
- Average price £5 thali (set lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website punjabijunction.org
Social enterprise community cafe serving authentic homemade Indian food in the heart of Leith.
Enjoy a warm glow of culinary and social satisfaction when you visit this excellent social enterprise café on Leith Walk. Charity Sikh Sanjog set it up in 2013 to provide Indian women with training opportunites and it’s been embraced by the community ever since. Lunchtimes are a hive of activity as customers flock to grab a thali lunch for a fiver, or a takeaway for as little as £3. Top tip though: eat in and ask for a freshly made momo, pakora or samosa starter – there may be a wait but it’s worth it and the aubergine pakora is especially good. The fish curry (which has been on the TV, no less) is also a favourite and sees soft white fish soaked in a medium-spiced thick tomato sauce with lots of garlic. There are also chicken, lamb and vegetarian curries, all of which are dairy-free and made on the day. Although very much a café – it is simply decorated with plain pine-effect tables and a map of India on a dark blue wall – Punjabi Junction is now open till 10pm and accepts BYOB.
- High point: Great value, good, simple food
- Low point: Everything is freshly made, so can take time in busy periods
- Notable dish: Fish curry
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/leith/punjabi-junction
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indian contemporary music
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2013
- BYOB: Free corkage (Wine, beer and cider)
Reviews & features
Sunset Strip Carrot Dangle navigates a number of socio-political concerns21 Jun 2017
Leith Late exhibition at Punjabi Junction proves difficult to stomach
There is something uncomfortable about the mixture of celebration and anxiety that Sunset Strip Carrot Dangle provokes. Part event, part exhibition, part temporary food bank, there are many socio-political concerns to navigate, all while enjoying a…