Mrs Forman's Bar & Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 665 0430
- Seasonal times Apr–Sep: Mon–Sun noon–9pm.
- Bar open Tue–Sun noon–11pm. Closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Sun noon–2.30pm, 5.30–9pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Fri/Sat 5–6pm
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.79
- Website www.mrsformans.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Mrs Forman's Inn may have been established in 1822 on the edge of Musselburgh’s Golf Course (officially recognised as the oldest golf course in the world) but the latest management team have only just taken the reigns. The menu at this husband and wife operation is built around the fresh produce delivered from local suppliers. Begin with a tasty starter of haggis and Belhaven smoked cheese with red onion jam or opt for a main of grilled sea bass served with mussels and a light parsley and garlic butter sauce. Meat lovers can get their teeth into the house steak, succulent striploin in three sizes to suit all appetites, and although the choice for vegetarians is limited the dishes on offer are well executed. Desserts such as crème brûlee and sticky toffee pudding also impress. All dishes served are of a high quality and this destination attracts a sophisticated crowd of locals and golf tourists who regularly book the place up on Friday and Saturday nights.
- High point: Enjoy dishes in the large beer garden in summer
- Low point: Perched on the corner of a roundabout
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Lounge Jazz
- Capacity: 36
- Largest group: 22 (weddings)
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle