The Sun Inn
- Telephone 0131 663 2456
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2pm, 6–9pm; Sun noon–7pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 6–7pm
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11
- Website www.thesuninnedinburgh.co.uk
Polished seasonal cooking in former coaching inn beside the River Esk.
A former coaching inn on the banks of the River Esk, the Sun Inn’s bar and bistro do a rolling menu inspired by their food hero suppliers. A polished lunch or dinner à la carte might include a main of turbot with crab and spring onion risotto, or rump of Borders lamb with butter pastry and pea soufflé. Sundays sees a traditional roast with all the trimmings, while the weekday Early Bird menu brings down the price but not the creativity, with dishes such as fish tacos with crispy monkfish cheeks and wild garlic pesto; or smoked haddock and leek stovies. There’s also a simpler pub grub menu of steaks, cottage or fish pie, and classic fish and chips.
- Provides: Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 28