- Telephone 0131 478 2856
- Seasonal times Licensed until 1am in August.
- Food served Wed–Sun 5–10pm. Closed Mon/Tue. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Average price £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.quijotetapas.co.uk
Extensive menu of authentic tapas in this laid-back Tollcross restaurant.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
In 2010, a group of friends from Seville with experience in the catering industries in Spain and Scotland, decided to set up their own place in a bustling Tollcross street full of restaurants. The result is El Quijote, offering authentic tapas from southern Spain. The space is cosy, the welcome warm and the service very laid-back (sometimes in the extreme), with a menu offering dishes in tapas or main meal sizes. The dishes are all impressive, such as wild mushroom croquettes served with a three-cheese sauce or melt-in-the- mouth Iberian pork cheeks in a vegetable stew. End with tarta de Santiago, a traditional almond cake from Galicia made with a recipe dating back to the Middle Ages, or a flan dessert with caramel custard. Mixed platters of cheeses and meats, using imported specialities from Spain alongside local Scottish produce, are worth checking out, paired with a little something from the carefully selected wine list.
- High point: Authentic dishes from Southern Spain
- Low point: Not the place if you're in a hurry
- Notable dish: Pork cheeks
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Occasional guitarist during the Festival
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £17 per bottle