Urban Bar & Brasserie
- Telephone 0141 248 5636
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–11pm, Fri & Sat 11am–midnight
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am
- Food served Mon–Thu Noon–-10pm; Fri/Sat Noon–10.30pm; Sun 12.30–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6.30pm
- Average price £16.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.95
- Website www.urbanbrasserie.co.uk
Whether a stop-off for a glass of fizz, a working lunch, or a romantic meal, this upmarket brasserie ticks all of the boxes in its prime city centre location.
Like its neighbour the Anchor Line and the nearby Corinthian, Urban Bar and Brasserie inhabits a handsome old building that speaks of Glasgow’s rich merchant past in the shape of the Bank of England’s former Scottish HQ. Behind an impressive looking pillared entrance, the sense of grandness is maintained in polished wood floors, leather banquettes and a marble-topped bar, and helped by waiting staff dressed in white shirts, black waistcoats and ties. The pan-European menu is a little more down to earth than all of that suggests, however – it’s more family birthday dinner than high-power business meeting. A Stornoway black pudding starter looks colourful and impressive served on a broad glass plate, and tastes better still with the runny yoke of a poached duck egg running through a red chard salad punctuated by chewy pancetta lardons. The sirloin of Buccleuch beef is traditionally matured and dry aged for 28 days and full of flavour, even if the very tart garlic and herb butter doesn’t do it the greatest justice. Rich Jamaican gingerbread with vanilla ice-cream and butterscotch is a satisfying splurge of stickiness, smoothness, sugar and spice.
- High point: Wow factor of a fine looking building
- Low point: Lukewarm temperature of the black pudding starter
- Notable dish: Stornoway black pudding, poached duck egg, red chard salad pancetta lardons
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Live entertainment: Pianist and vocalist every Friday & Saturday night.
- Capacity: 140
- Largest group: 140
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle