Urban Bar & Brasserie
- Telephone 0141 248 5636
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–11pm, Fri & Sat 11am–midnight
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–-10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu noon–9pm; Fri noon–6.30pm; Sat noon–5pm
- Pre-theatre price £14
- Website www.urbanbrasserie.co.uk
Whether a stop-off for a glass of fizz, a working lunch, or a romantic meal, this upmarket brasserie ticks all of the boxes in its prime city centre location.
Urban Bar & Brasserie’s imposing pillared entrance is a recognisable city centre structure. The one-time Bank of England headquarters is just a glance away from Buchanan Street’s pedestrianised thoroughfare yet offers a serene dining experience that feels miles away from a day at the shops. The grand interior hits on a number of fine-dining hallmarks – white tablecloths, marble, polished silverware, heavy cloth napkins and attentive service. At first scan it would be easy to imagine a business deal taking place at these tables. The menu tells a less exclusive story with crowd-pleasing dishes taking up much of the space and generous market menu prices (£14 for two courses, £18 for three) running from noon to 9pm Sunday–Thursday. As a result the crowd is a mixed bag with Urban proving more popular with families than you might expect from a place with escargot on the menu. The restaurant has a few AA rosettes to its name and specialises in familiar meat and fish dishes – roast chicken, beef burger, puff pastry pie – all done to an accomplished standard.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Pianist and vocalist every Friday & Saturday night.
- Capacity: 140
- Largest group: 140
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle