Urban Bar & Brasserie
- Telephone 0141 248 5636
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–11pm, Fri & Sat 11am–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–-10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu noon–8pm; Fri noon–6.30pm; Sat noon–5pm.
- Pre-theatre price £16.95
- Website www.urbanbrasserie.co.uk
Expect City Centre glamour in this beautiful old bank building with an upmarket crowd from surrounding businesses who match the classy interior.
This grand building has done time as a banking hall and a pub, but it feels well suited to the kind of smart-casual city-centre dining and cocktails that Urban has been serving up here since 2006. Imposing original features are complemented by opulent leather-upholstered booths, subdued lighting and some striking modern art, while service is smart and professional without the fuss of full-on fine dining. A few years ago this guide listed Urban in the ‘fish’ section, and the current menu is still close to half pescatarian, with simply grilled lemon sole, roast cod with wild mushrooms and crab linguini the stand-out mains. There’s also a good line in aged Scotch beef steaks and a burger, though there’s little for vegetarians or vegans on the standard à la carte. Prices are on the high side, though a two-course market menu at £15.95 is available right though till nine o’clock Sunday to Thursday, with an earlier cut-off at the weekend. An excellent wine list has some rare and interesting choices by the glass.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Guitar pop – Snow Patrol, Coldplay etc
- Capacity: 140
- Largest group: 140
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £19.95 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.