Lucky 7 Canteen
- Box office 0141 331 6227
- General enquiries 0141 331 6227
- Bar open Tue–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–3am
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 4–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £10.77
- Website www.lucky7canteen.co.uk
Chilled-out canteen style restaurant serving great value home-cooking, craft beer and cocktails.
Bang in the centre of the drinking strip that is Bath Street, Lucky 7 offers laid-back dining. In high-backed booths beneath the artfully peeling wallpaper, bargain hunters can get lunch and a soft drink with just a five pound note. As evening rolls round, the melodic house music shifts to disco and club-goers enjoy cocktails and Camden Hells craft beer before heading next door to sister venue Flat 0/1. The menu tagline states ‘food yer mammy made', and features plenty of home cooking favourites such as fish and chips, steak pie and macaroni cheese – but mammy also has creative flair, with peppered strawberries and burnt lime mayo. From their selection of vegetarian dishes the hearty Moroccan sweet potato and chickpea stew is subtly spiced, while the fried chicken special boasts a rustic crispy coating. With such good value mains it would be daft not to order the cheesecake of the day, a New York-style treat oozing raspberry sauce.
- Private dining: 20 for a sit down meal; 30 for buffet and drinks
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Meldoic trance and house during the day, disco on Fri & Sat night
- Live entertainment: DJ /live bands in adjoining venue Flat 0/1
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best restaurants in Edinburgh and Glasgow for cheap eating in January9 Jan 2012
Dining out options that won't break the bank
EDINBURGH The Mosque Kitchen Now relocated from its former al fresco spot outside Edinburgh’s mosque, the café-style Mosque Kitchen still serves a fine range of halal meat and vegetable curries in no-fuss polystyrene dishes for under £5 including…