- Box office 0131 557 3032
- General enquiries 0131 557 3032
- Seasonal times Open Sundays and between lunch and dinner during Festival (lunch until 5pm).
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm, 6–9.30pm.
- Average price £14.50 (set lunch); £28.70 (evening meal)
- Website www.lagarrigue.co.uk
Ever popular Old Town establishment offering rustic but refined traditional French cooking and an extensive wine list.
La Garrigue, tucked away behind Waverley railway station, has been a bastion of Frenchness in Edinburgh since 2001. Its name translates as ‘scrubland’ and is a nod to the dusty Languedoc home of chef/owner Jean Michel Gauffre. A mural by artist Andrew Walker faces the door and depicts the vineyard in Bedarieux which is on the route of the patron’s popular wine tours. The fruits of his trips feature on an extensive wine list, while the menu combines the rustic flavours of south-west France and the refined flair of Gauffre. This is reflected in starters such as hare and pork terrine served with pickled walnuts, or sliced warm pheasant which is elevated by the addition of celeriac and a flavour-packed sauce. Roe deer chop vies with a traditional cassoulet – a stew made with sausage, pork and duck, served on a bed of beans – among the mains, and if those meaty feasts don’t transport the diner to Gauffre’s homeland, a crème brûlée with lavender – from Bedarieux, of course – certainly should do the trick.
- High point: Rustic cooking with French flair
- Low point: Choosing from so many good wines
- Notable dish: Cassoulet Languedocien
- Private dining: Up to 11 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing (said it was broken but was also nothing in previous years)
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage
Reviews & features
Take Three: Regional redoubts13 Nov 2008
Dakhin 89 Candleriggs, Glasgow 0141 553 2585, www.dakhin.com Not just another Glasgow curry house but a discreet Merchant City venue dedicated to the food and cooking of south India, with dosas as a mainstay, some lovely seafood dishes from Kerela…