- Box office 0131 557 3032
- General enquiries 0131 557 3032
- Seasonal times Open Sundays and between lunch and dinner during Festival.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm; 6.30–9.30pm.
- Average price £14.50 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Website www.lagarrigue.co.uk
Mellow Old Town restaurant, showcasing food and wine from Le Midi region of France.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The string of award plates on the wall and certificates in the window are testament to this highly regarded restaurant's popularity. An Old Town favourite since 2001, La Garrigue has stayed fast where other much younger venues have fallen by the wayside. At the helm has always been the steady hand of Jean Michel Gauffre – surely one of the most affable restaurateurs in Edinburgh. Having tried his hand at other venues in Leith and the New Town in recent years, Gauffre seems content to stick with the original these days. He may have taken a small step back from the day-to-day running of the restaurant, but he's still very much behind La Garrigue's identity and popularity. Known for his knowledge of and passion for the Languedoc region of France, Gauffre now escorts wine tours over there once a month. La Garrigue's menu is a showcase of Languedoc cuisine – with staples like fish soup, cassoulet, roquefort soufflé, and saucisson, it's familiar and comforting French food, rich and filling but not presented without finesse. Many people will be defeated long before dessert, but it's worth keeping room for some of the beautifully made patisserie, such as choux buns filled with Nutella cream or lavender crème anglaise.
- High point: A comprehensive tour of Languedoc food and wine
- Low point: When it's quiet, you can hear the fridges hum – music would help
- Notable dish: Cassoulet
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Total silence
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Take Three: Regional redoubts13 Nov 2008
Dakhin 89 Candleriggs, Glasgow 0141 553 2585, www.dakhin.com Not just another Glasgow curry house but a discreet Merchant City venue dedicated to the food and cooking of south India, with dosas as a mainstay, some lovely seafood dishes from Kerela…