The Wise Monkey
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 334 5125
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–9pm; Sun noon–9pm.
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £9 (evening meal)
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
It was little surprise to see Hubbard’s become the latest establishment on the Great Western Road to undergo a student-friendly makeover when it reopened as The Wise Monkey in early 2010. Although it’s had less of a wholesale conversion than it has a basic rebranding. A canvas banner is the only external change, while inside, the drinks and food have been greatly expanded, and a big emphasis placed on live music - full band or open mic sessions take place most nights. A fresh lick of paint and reflooring is pending, but otherwise this is much the same careworn old watering hole it’s long since been, hence plenty of veterans are mixed in among newer younger patrons. Food wise, it’s burgers, pizzas, pastas and general pub grub, with a few nice flourishes such as the chef’s own chunky salsa on the nachos. A good range of continental bottled beers - including Paulaner, Weihenstephan and Schöfferhofer - are served in chilled pint glasses.
- High point: Big open windows and outdoor tables in summer
- Low point: Needs a good scrub
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indie/rock/hip-hop
- Live entertainment: Wed poker, Mon quiz - live music every other night
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £9.90 per bottle