Under the Stairs
- Telephone 0131 466 8550
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–1am
- Seasonal times Later in August and festive season.
- Bar open Mon–Fri 3pm–1am; Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 3–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm.
- Typical order £2.10
- Website www.underthestairs.org
Cocktails are their forte, but a tasteful food menu makes Under the Stairs a popular lunch and dinner spot too.
Owners Debbie Lee-Young and Gav Anderson are old pals and experienced bartenders from the Edinburgh scene, so it’s no surprise their lively joint venture has been going strong since 2008. The set-up is a pleasing basement cocktail bar and restaurant: like being in a cosy yet stylish cave (with bonus fish tank). After advice from the knowledgeable staff, try an adventurous cocktail such as a Kung Fu Cantona (with rhubarb and hellfire bitters) or Red Mist Wash Over (with Vida mezcal and sun-dried tomato) – or stretch your beer muscles with a guest brew like a sour peach pale ale. There’s also a small but beautiful wine selection, including an English white. But don't go hungry either: the small plates contain such tasty choices as octopus escabeche and Indian-spiced baba ganoush, and there are larger plates like whole baked rainbow trout and lamb rump if you hate sharing.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 90s hip-hop and RnB
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 21
- House wine: £20 per bottle