- Telephone 0131 228 5383
- Opening times Mon–Wed 11am–midnight; Thu–Sat 11am–1am; closed Sun.
- Seasonal times Festival: extended opening hours until 3am
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11pm, Fri/Sat 11am–1pm. Closed Sun.
- Food served Cafe: Mon–Fri 8am–3pm. Bar: Mon–Sat noon–8pm. Closed Sun.
- Website www.traverse.co.uk
Superlative spot to grab a hearty lunch, coffee or sweet afternoon salve.
If you’re looking for a good value, nourishing lunch on a workday then popping into a theatre café might not be the first thing on your mind – but overlooking Traverse Coffee would be to miss a trick. This wee spot above the iconic subterranean theatre offers an ever-changing selection of freshly made soups, sandwiches, salads and hotpots, most at a screamingly low price. A robust salad of chicken, chickpea and chorizo is a harmonious tumble of flavours and a great example of what’s typically on offer. Coffee comes from Machina Espresso and is expertly made, while for afters connoisseurs of all things brownie will recognise Wood’s handiwork – the Valencia orange is chewy, studded with candied orange peel and worth risking the inevitable sugar crash for. Under new management, there are plans afoot for the space, including the downstairs bar: currently a low-key yet buzzing spot for grabbing one of many excellent beers or wines for a post-play analysis.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Radio 6 music
- Live entertainment: Theatre shows and live music
- Capacity: Bar: 75, Cafe: 4 (+ 5 outside)
- Largest group: 150
- Open since: 1992
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £19 per bottle