Traverse Bar Café
- Telephone 0131 228 5383
- Opening times Mon–Wed 11am–midnight; Thu–Sat 11am–1am; closed Sun.
- Seasonal times Festival: extended opening hours
- Bar open Mon –Wed 11am–12am; Thu/Sat 11am–1am; closed Sun.
- Food served Tues–Thu 11am–8pm; Fri/Sat 11am–9pm; closed Sun.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.traverse.co.uk
Convivial subterranean café and bar, ideal for pre/post-theatre pub grub or just a quiet pint with your book.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
From its roots in an abandoned brothel in the Lawnmarket, the Traverse Theatre has certainly come a long way in its fifty years. Still nurturing fresh writing talent and pushing boundaries on two stages, the theatre’s subterranean café and bar provides a less controversial space, while staying true to its bohemian roots. Hide away in one of the sought-after booths with a glass of wine and your book (or script), grab some decent pub grub before the main event, or simply enjoy a pint and observe the artistic set in their natural habitat. The concise menu covers sandwiches and lighter bites including the Traverse burger which sees a moist Campbell’s meat patty between crisp brioche buns, served with salsa and crunchy onion rings. The Sharers, which include nachos and a Mediterranean platter, echo the convivial nature of the place, encouraging friends to settle on one of the long couches for an evening of putting the world to rights.
- High point: Spacious spot to observe the artistic set in their natural habitat
- Low point: 'A Play, a Pie and a Pint' doesn't run all year round
- Notable dish: The Traverse burger
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Rat pack classics
- Live entertainment: Theatre shows and live music
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 200 (buffet); 50 (sit-down). Can be hired for weddings etc.
- Open since: 1992
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £17.50 per bottle