The Traverse Bar
- Telephone 0131 228 5383
- Opening times Mon–Wed 11am–midnight; Thu–Fri 11am–1am; Sat noon–1am; closed Sun unless performance.
- Seasonal times Festival: extended opening hours.
- Bar open Mon–Sat 4pm–11pm. Closed Sun, unless performance.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–3pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Average price £5 (lunch)
- Website www.traverse.co.uk/eating-drinking/
The Traverse bar is a legendary spot among Edinburgh's artistic community. It only serves food on performance evenings, but is open year-round for drinks.
From its roots in an abandoned brothel in the Lawnmarket, the Traverse Theatre has certainly come a long way in its fifty years. Still nurturing fresh writing talent and pushing boundaries on two stages, the theatre’s subterranean café and bar provides a less controversial space, while staying true to its bohemian roots. Hide away in one of the sought-after booths with a glass of wine and your book (or script), grab some decent pub grub before the main event, or simply enjoy a pint and observe the artistic set in their natural habitat. The concise menu covers sandwiches and lighter bites including the Traverse burger which sees a moist Campbell’s meat patty between crisp brioche buns, served with salsa and crunchy onion rings. The Sharers, which include nachos and a Mediterranean platter, echo the convivial nature of the place, encouraging friends to settle on one of the long couches for an evening of putting the world to rights.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Theatre shows and live music
- Capacity: 6 (6 outdoors)
- Largest group: 150
- Open since: 1992
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.