- Telephone 0131 556 2101
- Seasonal times Occasional late license during the Festival
- Bar open Mon 11am–11pm; Tue–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30–8pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30–5pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.kilderkin.co.uk
A stone’s throw from Arthur’s seat with a well-stocked bar and laid-back groove lies The Kilderkin and its loyal punters.
Although not the most glamorous from the outside, The Kilderkin grows on you the more time you spend in their traditionally decked out surroundings. Soothing sounds of Fleetwood Mac and other pop rock favourites play, reflecting the record covers glowing under retro red lamps on the wall. Split into two rooms, it caters for the regulars glued to their creaky bar stools, the students, the quiz goers and the pizza lovers – with £1 pizzas on Mondays, can you blame them? Amongst 155 different rums on offer, they have squeezed in some local brews from Stewart’s Brewery, an affordable selection of wine and the odd cocktail. The kitchen adds their own flair to popular pub grub, using chorizo and black pudding sausages for bangers and mash, and spiced rice for the veggie bhajee burger.
- High point: Chatty, knowledgeable staff.
- Low point: 155 rums means the hangover is inevitable
- Notable dish: Tenacious D pizza topped with duck, chillies, peppers, jalapeños, red onion and mozzarella.
- Private dining: Side room seats 30
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop Rock
- Live entertainment: Free Fringe venue; Tuesday night quiz; Wednesday Ukelele; Friday Guitar
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2011 under current management
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Events at this venue
There is 1 event at this location
Sorted by title / date & time
The Edinburgh Revue: Jamboreavement
The Edinburgh Revue / PBH Free Fringe The Edinburgh Revue is back in black, bringing you sketch comedy straight from the horse's mouth. If a horse was three people. 'Comic talent of the future' ★★★★ (Skinny). 'Five kisses from Mum' xxxxx (Mum).