The GlenDronach Distillery
Opened in 1826 by the exuberant James Allardice, investors in the distillery have included Walter Scott and Captain Charles Grant. More recently, GlenDronach was bought in 1960 by William Teacher & Sons, mothballed in 1996 until 2002, before reverting to independence once more in 2008 when it was bought by the BenRiach Distillery Company. Known for producing richly sherried single malt whiskies, the range includes the original 12-year-old, re-released in 2009; 15, 18, 21, 31 and 33-years-old; a cask strength, and four wood finishes - Sauternes, virgin oak, Moscatel and tawny port. Each year, the master distiller selects a handful of individual casks from the warehouses, which are bottled as the GlenDronach 'Limited Release'. These draw from maturing whiskies dating back as far as 1968, so there is a vast selection of barrels, hogsheads, puncheons and butts to choose from. The distillery is open to visitors all year, with guided tours running throughout the day (from £5), a visitor centre and gift shop.