Roots and Fruits
- Telephone 0141 339 3077
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–7pm; Sat 7.30am–6.30pm; Sun 9am–6.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times no
- Average price £8.50 (lunch)
- Website www.rootsfruitsandflowers.com
Deli, shop and small café selling healthy and natural foods, with an emphasis on local produce and catering for special dieters.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
An institution for food lovers, families, and students alike, this deli-cum-café boasts a variety of dishes that reflect a strong commitment to cater for vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free diets. The counter is stocked with enough salads, soups and paninis to suit almost anyone. A Thai salmon fishcake is packed with flavour, while the Korean pork belly ciabatta is lifted by kimchi crackling and crunchy beansprouts. Leave room for one of the many sweet treats – a blueberry and almond tart is especially chewy and moreish. Glasgow-based Charlie Mills provides hand-roasted coffee, while the fridges are stocked with natural, additive-free soft drinks and fruit juices. Once you’ve finished eating, make sure to wander round the shelves and peruse the selection of organic goods, from Ottolenghi-inspired spices to loaves from nearby Tapa. Pop next door to their adjoining greengrocer for all things fruit and veg.
- High point: Lots of options for special dieters
- Low point: Too much choice
- Notable dish: Korean pork belly ciabatta
See Byres Road branch
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 12 (10 outdoors)
- Open since: Cafe seating 2012, actual business 1990s
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood Watch: Great Western Road, Glasgow19 Dec 2011
Including The Captain's Rest, The Belle and Lupe Pintos
What’s it like? One big road full of pubs, cafés and little shops. Flats are mostly old tenements above the bars, restaurants and stores which go up most of the road. Where’s it, like? In the West End, a stone’s throw from Woodlands and Byres Road.