Victor Hugo Delicatessen and Victor Hugo Lounge
- Telephone 0131 667 1827
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–8pm; Fri 8am–10pm; Sat/Sun 8am–6pm.
- Seasonal times Summer 8am–8pm; Festival 8am–9pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–7pm; Sun 9.30am–6pm,
- Average price £10 (lunch)
- Website www.victorhugodeli.com
Lively deli-café and takeaway on the edge of the Meadows with a firm focus on the nicer things in life.
Victor Hugo has sat on its corner of the Meadows for what seems like forever. But changes are afoot. Now firmly back under family management, an extension next door saw the establishment of the new Bottega Prosecco Lounge. It’s giant round table and high-backed chairs seems a promise of fizz and fun to come. In the main deli you’ll find a huge selection of gourmet food to take out or sit in, served by efficient staff in a bustling atmosphere populated with families, friends out to chat and hungry workers. Pastrami on rye is the real deal, worthy of presentation in downtown Manhattan, while eggs Victor Hugo is a house speciality involving gently toasted muffin, soft smoked salmon, two perfectly cooked brightly yolked eggs and a shiny lemon hollandaise. A hot dish of duck confit satisfies larger appetites. Pear frangipane, with plentiful fruit and a light almondy pastry, is only one of several seductions in the baking section, going down especially well with own-blend coffee.
- High point: Woody Allen-authentic pastrami on rye
- Low point: It's busy, so get in early for a good seat
- Notable dish: Eggs Victor Hugo
Well past its 70th year, the second-oldest deli in Scotland has deservedly become something of an Edinburgh institution. Within the cherry red exterior is a well-stocked shop with a good balance of everyday and more specialist items, from Cashel Blue cheese to Rwandan coffee. Daily dishes offered – eat in or takeaway – include a decent array of salads, bakes, daily specials and treats, while Friday evenings herald a supper club, with a weekly changing menu of three courses for £18.95 plus no-corkage BYOB.
- Delivery: ask for details
- Private dining: Up to 14 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, world and pop
- Capacity: 30 (50 outdoors)
- Largest group: 14
- Open since: 1970
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle