Victor Hugo Delicatessen and Lounge
- Telephone 0131 667 1827
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–8pm; Fri 8am–10pm; Sat/Sun 8am–6pm.
- Seasonal times Winter: Mon–Sat 8am–6pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–7pm; Sun 9.30am–6pm.
- Website www.victorhugodeli.com
Lively deli-café and takeaway on the edge of the Meadows with a firm focus on the nicer things in life.
Sitting on a corner of the Meadows since 1969, Victor Hugo continues to bring a little bit of continental culture to Edinburgh. French café classics like the croque monsieur are well-executed while the pastrami on rye is huge, stuffed with plenty of spiced beef, pickles and lashings of mustard. Cakes, tarts and pastries cover the counter and the café hums throughout the day to the hiss of a coffee machine brewing their own speciality roast. While the outdoor tables have long provided a welcome spot for al fresco brunching, the prosecco and coffee lounge opened in 2017 provides an additional elegant space. As well as sandwiches, they also serve sharing platters, hot dishes, salads and, for the less virtuous, syrup-topped waffles.
Well past its 70th year, the second-oldest deli in Scotland has deservedly become something of an Edinburgh institution. Within the cherry red exterior is a well-stocked shop with a good balance of everyday and more specialist items, from Cashel Blue cheese to Rwandan coffee. Daily dishes offered – eat in or takeaway – include a decent array of salads, bakes, daily specials and treats, while Friday evenings herald a supper club, with a weekly changing menu of three courses for £18.95 plus no-corkage BYOB.
- Private dining: 40 (prosecco and coffee lounge)
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Cafe classics
- Capacity: 70 (40 outdoors)
- Largest group: negotiable
- Open since: 1969