Porto & Fi
Family-run neighbourhood bistro and coffee spot championing local suppliers with contemporary Scottish dishes.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Serving the communities of Newhaven and Trinity, this light and airy café-cum-bistro by the sea provides a welcome destination for meeting friends in an area otherwise limited for dining out. Whether you’re just after a good coffee and something delicious from the tempting display of cakes and traybakes, or looking for a more substantial meal, the flexible menu offers plenty of possibilities for light lunch or the full three courses. Tempting dishes include pan-fried salmon with puy lentils, brown shrimps, sun-blushed tomatoes and coriander, or duck breast with roasted beetroot, kale, sweet potato mash and red wine reduction. The success of their modern Scottish bistro menu has seen Porto & Fi extend its evening opening hours until 10pm at weekends, a move sure to be welcomed by its loyal followers.
- High point: A haven of all-day quality cooking in Newhaven
- Low point: A loyal local following means booking ahead is advisable
- Notable dish: Venison casserole with smoked paprika dumplings, baby potatoes and red cabbage
- Delivery: Deliver for events and outside catering
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Background contemporary playlist
- Capacity: 38 (plus 12 outside)
- Largest group: 14
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £17 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Six of the Best1 Jun 2010
Porto & Fi 47 Newhaven Mainstreet, 0131 551 1900 In the mornings and mid-afternoon, this Newhaven eatery is a bustling café, serving a range of breakfast options, coffees and cakes to tourists and regulars attracted by the light, airy space…