Porto & Fi
Family-run neighbourhood bistro and coffee spot championing local suppliers with contemporary Scottish dishes.
Named ‘Porto’ after Newhaven Harbour and ‘Fi’ after co-owner and chef Fiona, this bright, informal café is as popular as ever since opening almost a decade ago. It’s a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere to enjoy coffee with the papers, a hearty breakfast or a full-three course dinner. Most dishes on the bistro menu can be ordered in small or large portions and there’s plenty of seaside-appropriate seafood. Warm salad of Stornoway black pudding is well-executed with al dente asparagus spears and a panko-crumbed crispy egg with a runny yolk. It’s difficult to resist the vast choice on the counter display, from simple tray-bakes like salted caramel tiffin to rich puddings like banoffee pie. Overall, a destination for locals and visitors alike.
- High point: Warm and attentive staff
- Low point: Limited dessert options for special dietary requirements
- Notable dish: Spiced lamb cutlets & Moroccan style potatoes with chickpeas and mint riata
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Spotify playlists
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 14
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Six of the Best1 Jun 2010
Porto & Fi 47 Newhaven Mainstreet, 0131 551 1900 In the mornings and mid-afternoon, this Newhaven eatery is a bustling café, serving a range of breakfast options, coffees and cakes to tourists and regulars attracted by the light, airy space…