The Balmoral Bar
- Telephone 0131 524 7100
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £21 sharing platter (lunch); £21 sharing platter (evening meal)
- Website www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/…
Exquisite cocktails in a luxurious atmosphere, with knowledgeable staff on hand to explain the list.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
When you’re paying £14 for a drink, then you should expect that every element is going to be perfect. Luckily they understand that at the Balmoral, so while it’s probably always going to be a special occasion place, it does deliver. Lush banquettes and booths, dim lighting, extremely knowledgeable staff, a cute complimentary tray of moreish nibbles and a comprehensive menu all scream ‘quality’. A Mai Tai is a proper, grown-up drink – strong, not overly sweet, while a Smoky Treacle, containing apple juice, Mount Gay rum and Bowmore whisky is particularly well-balanced. A range of ‘dessert cocktails’ – for when you want to skip the pud and head straight back to the booze – seems like a mighty fine idea too. After all, can anyone think of a reason to say no to a Black Forest Gateau in a glass? Thought not.
- High point: The cocktails
- Low point: The prices
- Notable dish: The cocktail tasting menu
- Private dining: Various options within hotel
- No. overnight rooms: 188
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £30 per bottle