Whighams Wine Cellars
- Telephone 0131 225 8674
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight
- Seasonal times Two–hour extension during Festival
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.45pm.
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.whighams.com
Cellar-based wine bar and restaurant where business lunchers and the after-work crowd enjoy a glass of wine in good company.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Whighams appeal lies in its atmosphere. It’s been a solid feature on the Edinburgh scene for over 30 years thanks to a stalwart clientele who know what they like and like what they know. Popular for business lunches and after-work drinks, the cellars also play host to regular jazz, blues and open mic nights and, of course, wine tasting. The wine list is as extensive as you’d expect, with something for all palates and purses, from a £4 glass of red to a £125 bottle of champagne. The daily market menu also offers good value, if a little unimaginative, dishes, featuring the likes of classic prawn cocktail and fishcakes or chicken liver parfait and roast beef salad. The puddings show a little more flair and the mango and passion fruit crème brûlée is a pleasure to crack into.
- High point: Alcoves are great for an intimate get-together
- Low point: Some dishes are a little bland
- Private dining: Alcoves/Cellars where 8 can dine or 15 can drink
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Live entertainment: Live Jazz every Sunday, Live Blues the first and third Tuesday of every month, open mic might every second Tuesday
- Capacity: 120 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1983
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 32
- House wine: £16 per bottle