Whighams Wine Cellars
- Telephone 0131 225 8674
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight
- Seasonal times Festival: later opening
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.30pm.
- Website www.whighams.com
Cellar wine bar and restaurant where business lunchers and the after-work crowd enjoy a glass of wine in good company.
A basement wine bar that’s attracted a strongly loyal following since its inception in 1983, Whighams feels like it’s always been a permanent fixture in the West End. A recent refurbishment has freshened things up somewhat, though the idea was never to radically change what’s always been a popular formula with their varied mix of customers, including office workers, shoppers and couples. The original wine cellars in particular are prized for an after-work relaxation session, offering cosy drinking nooks, muted tones and a touch of tartan which serves to enforce the solid, old school feel of the menus. The extensive wine list is populated with familiar names, while the food features classics such as Cullen skink, steaks and burgers. Jazz on a Sunday night brings the punters in, the regular wine club nights are fun and four-legged friends are also made very welcome.
- Private dining: Alcoves/cellars where 8 can dine or 15 can drink
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Live jazz every Sunday, live blues the first and third Tuesday of the month, open mic every second Tuesday. Pianist Sat afternoon.
- Capacity: 120 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1983
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 29
- House wine: £20 per bottle