Whighams Wine Cellars
- Telephone 0131 225 8674
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight
- Seasonal times Festival: later opening if needed
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–9.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–7pm.
- Pre-theatre price £15.95 inc glass of wine
- Website www.whighams.com
Cellar-based wine bar and restaurant where business lunchers and the after-work crowd enjoy a glass of wine in good company.
Breaking new ground Whighams is not, but popular it is, so something right it must be doing, as Yoda might say if he came to have a Friday night wine. Perhaps the returning customers – office workers, couples, shoppers – are steadily making their way through the extensive wine list, or sampling the decent range of Scottish beers. They could also be coming for the Sunday jazz, open mic nights or Saturday afternoon piano. They are probably not coming only for the food: the menu is solid, and a little old school. Starters include prawn cocktail, baked portobello mushroom and Cullen skink; mains bring salmon fillet and potatoes, ribeye steak and Goan fish curry if you’re feeling a bit more exotic. The original vaulted wine cellars offer cosy drinking dens and the large, extended restaurant features dark red walls and framed Moulin Rouge-style posters, adding to the classic feel.
- Private dining: Alcoves/cellars where 8 can dine or 15 can drink
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 80s, mixed playlists
- Live entertainment: Live jazz every Sunday, live blues the first and third Tuesday of the month, open mic every second Tuesday. Pianist Sat 2–4pm
- Capacity: 120 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1983
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 31
- House wine: £19.50 per bottle