Word of Mouth
- Box office 0131 554 4344
- General enquiries 0131 554 4344
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £8.50 (lunch)
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
Welcome to a local Leith favourite sited just a few steps off the heart of Leith Walk, and a café with one of the most eclectic menus in the city. From morning you can get a full breakfast (vegetarian or otherwise) with a couple of continental options thrown in, eggs Benedict or Florentine among them. This French flavour stretches to the lunch menu, with croque monsieur et madame an endearing favourite, big hunks of perfectly grilled bread with fresh cheese, ham and salad on the side, while owner and chef Roshi Rama employs a broad Mediterranean influence elsewhere. For example, there’s a dish of fresh mozzarella served on ciabatta and a lemon chicken with roast vegetables on flatbread, while the Turkish red lentil soup is thick and well seasoned. That such variety inhabits the menu isn’t the big deal, it’s the fact that it’s all prepared with precise attention to detail and quality – and the fantastic range of cakes maintain similarly high standards.
- High point: A range of continental styles prepared with homemade heart
- Low point: Some seats are a little cramped
- Notable dish: Croque monsieur with honey roast ham and mature cheddar cheese
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Poetry and film nights on occasion
- Capacity: 23 (6 outdoors)
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2007
- BYOB: Beer 70p, wine £1.20 corkage