- Telephone 0131 669 0082
- Bar open Sun–Thu 8am–11pm; Fri/Sat 8am–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu 8am–9pm; Fri/Sat 8am–10pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
Casual, friendly, family-oriented beachside bar/restaurant with a tiki theme.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Join in when you know the words: ‘oh we do like to be beside the seaside, oh we do like to be beside the sea’. Down Porty way, the Espy has a killer view and a killer daily breakfast to match it. Locals and day-trippers alike pile into this tiki-themed bar to enjoy cocktails (heavy on the rum) and boozy milkshakes. The menu changes frequently and features generous sharing boards, piled high with salad and pitta strips, as well as the expected comfort grub – burgers and nachos all present and correct. When the sun shines there’s possibly no better place to be than the Espy, and when it doesn’t (we are talking about Edinburgh, after all) it’s still far from a hardship to tuck yourself up in a cosy corner as you wait for the weather to change its mind.
- High point: That view
- Low point: Disappointing beer selection
- Notable dish: The Espy nachos
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Weekly movie night.
- Capacity: 65 (16 in winter, 32 in summer)
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
The rough guide to Portobello, Edinburgh's seaside24 Mar 2011
Neighbourhood Watch: The best bits by the beach
What’s it like? An utterly charming, slightly wonky area of Edinburgh, characterised by the city’s only beach and a very distinct, anti-corporate local community ethos. Formerly the holiday destination of most Central Belters, a lack of investment in…