- Telephone 0131 669 0082
- Opening times 12:00–00:00
- Seasonal times No
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–11pm; Fri–Sun 10am–1am.
- Food served Sun–Wed 10am–9pm; Thu–Sat 10am–10pm.
- Average price £14.50 (lunch); £14.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.the-espy.com
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
The Espy is a real neighbourhood favourite, full of coffee-drinking mums by day, families in the early evening and a casual crowd by night. The twinkling fairy lights and old pictures of Portobello create a comfortable place to come for a quiet pint with friends or a reliable place for some quality pub food. There’s a daily specials menu with competitively priced dishes such as a succulent loin of pork or home-made chicken pie, but it’s the tasty Aberdeen Angus burgers that are the speciality. There are nine to choose from, topped with various cheeses, bacon or haggis, and all are freshly prepared and cooked to order. Puddings are mostly substantial wedges of cake or even an old-fashioned jam roly-poly. For the full seaside vibe there’s outdoor seating on Portobello promenade that is very popular even in the depths of winter.
- High point: Great seaside location
- Low point: Limited range of Scottish ales
- Notable dish: burgers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: laid back pop
- Live entertainment: Live music plus Australia Day.
- Capacity: 55
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
The rough guide to Portobello, Edinburgh's seaside24 Mar 2011
Neighbourhood Watch: The best bits by the beach
What’s it like? An utterly charming, slightly wonky area of Edinburgh, characterised by the city’s only beach and a very distinct, anti-corporate local community ethos. Formerly the holiday destination of most Central Belters, a lack of investment in…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 7 reviews of The Espy./5 from RSS feed of these comments