- Telephone 0131 669 0082
- Seasonal times Late license at Hogmanay – and sometimes during the festival.
- Bar open Sun–Thu 8am–11pm; Fri/Sat 8am–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu 9am–9pm; Fri/Sat 9am–10pm.
Casual, friendly, family-oriented beachside bar/restaurant with a tiki theme.
Inside the Espy is a treasure trove of well-loved tat, thanks to a proud Australian owner with an eye for quirky bits and bobs. There's a good range of beers and real ale on offer, and special cocktails and boozy milkshakes make up for a slightly limited wine list. Breakfast includes all the classics, with rolls, eggs benny and a full fry-up, as well as the likes of huevos rancheros, for those strong enough to stomach chilli first thing. Later on, burgers sit at the menu's core and daily specials from around the world add interest, with anything from fishcakes and chicken parma to Thai curry and dahl. The welcoming atmosphere and beachside location attracts an eclectic mix of locals, tourists and dog walkers, and does well in offering a little something for everyone.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Weekly movie night & quizzes
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
The rough guide to Portobello, Edinburgh's seaside24 Mar 2011
Neighbourhood Watch: The best bits by the beach
What’s it like? An utterly charming, slightly wonky area of Edinburgh, characterised by the city’s only beach and a very distinct, anti-corporate local community ethos. Formerly the holiday destination of most Central Belters, a lack of investment in…