- Telephone 0141 354 5070
- Food served Mon–Sun 5–9.45pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm
- Average price £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.50
- Website www.carltonhotels.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
Accessed by a lift to the seventh floor of the Carlton George Hotel, Windows is a ceiling away from being the ‘rooftop’ restaurant it’s billed as, though the views of Glasgow's skyline are impressive. It’s a comfortable enough space, and on summer’s day when drinks can be taken on to a small terrace, it doesn’t get much better, but the full potential remains untapped. The food itself is decent, with an open preparation area adding a visibly satisfying element to the evening. A set menu provides interesting starters such as burger sliders, and from the à la carte, a sea bass fillet with chorizo and broad beans signals the chef's capabilities. Among the mains, however, a mousseline-packed chicken breast is let down by a mushroom ragu that lacks depth. The wine list errs towards hotel prices though the house white is an excellent Chenin Blanc. For Windows to really make the most of its prime location it needs to raise itself beyond the all-encompassing eatery where hotel guests take breakfast. To enjoy the view in daytime, an afternoon tea option is well worth considering.
- High point: The view
- Low point: Doesn’t live up to potential
- Private dining: Up to 14 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 64
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: contemporary pop, i.e. Adele
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 55
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £19 per bottle