- Telephone 0141 550 0135
- Seasonal times Comedy Festival licence (Mar) open until 1am
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–-11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun 11am–9pm
- Average price £13 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Website www.westbeer.com
A German-style beer hall and brewery serving Bavarian-inspired food and home-brewed beers in a striking Glasgow Green building.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Set in a 180-year-old building that wouldn’t look out of place on a vintage postcard of Bavaria, WEST has been trailblazing German food and drink in Glasgow for over a decade. Its beer hall’s dark wood-panelled walls, seats and floors also feel authentically continental, but the German-style lager and dark beers, which are brewed on-site, have been given a sense of place with Glasgow-inspired names (King Tuts and St. Mungo feature). The menu is extensive but the currywurst, with sausages scored diagonally to allow curry sauce to permeate all the way through, and excellent-value serving platters with dinky pots of mackerel paste, rye bread and gherkins, are two of the best options. A popular haunt for those looking to refuel after a walk on the neighbouring Glasgow Green, it’s a thought to book in advance for a guaranteed seat, as, by early afternoon on a Saturday or Sunday, WEST is often mobbed.
- High point: Post-meal brewery tour a great way to end a visit
- Low point: Bar is extremely deep for drink tray passing
- Notable dish: Currywurst with fries and salad
- Private dining: Up to 64 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic
- Live entertainment: Venue for Glasgow comedy festival, folk nights
- Capacity: 64 (private function room), 90 main room
- Largest group: 250
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle