- Telephone 0131 476 5268
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun 10am–midnight; Fri& Sat 10am–1am.
- Seasonal times Until 3pm for New Year and Edinburgh Festival
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–9.45pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.roseleaf.co.uk
Welcoming destination pub with a chintzy clutter of board games, beer, healthy juices, comfort food and cocktails.
The Roseleaf is well worth a visit for its chintzy blend of unhurried service, comforting stodge and fresh ingredients. It’s family run and the staff mean it when they say they ‘try to make everyone feel at home’ – the hungover will find juicy Stornoway black pudding and salty Bloody Marys; vegans can share copious Gorgeous Grazer platters (hummus, garlic mushrooms, salad, dhal, homemade bread and rye crisps), dairy avoiders can try beetroot burgers or ham hock terrine, and there’s a rhubarb and vanilla panacotta for the gluten-free. They have served signature ‘Pot-tails’ here for almost a decade now, and judging by popular Mad Hatters Tea Parties (potent cocktails in teapots, loaded cake stands of finger foods and home baking, optional hats for borrowing), their twist on high tea is still a big draw. Board games and Scottish beers give extra reasons why it’s a good place for idling in.
- High point: Welcoming pub with thoughtfully made comfort food
- Low point: Picking one thing from the broad menu
- Notable dish: Truffled triple-cheesy macaroni with sauteed leeks and smoky bacon
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening / pop
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2007
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood Watch: Leith, Edinburgh21 Jul 2011
A beginner's guide to the capital's port town
What’s it like? It’s Leith. If you’re an Edinburgh List reader, it’s very likely you live there. Glossy bars, Michelin-starred restaurants and warehouse conversions squaring off against cobbles, pint’n’pie pubs and Hibees. Vibrant, community-focused (it…
Best bars in and around Leith3 Jun 2010
David Pollock suggests the finest locations for a festival beverage, or two
Roseleaf - Upbeat pub grub15 Nov 2007
There’s no doubt that the shake-up of pubs nearly two years on from the introduction of the smoking ban is well underway. Most of us have changed our attitudes to pubs in that time – we’ll go more often, but for a shorter time, we’re more likely to eat…