- Telephone 0131 468 5000
- Opening times 9am–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 9am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7–10am, noon–2.30pm, 6–10.15pm; Sat 8–10.30am, noon–2.30pm, 6–10.15pm; Sun 8–11am, 12:30pm–4pm, 6–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 6–10.15pm; Fri/Sat 6–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £19.95
- Website www.malmaison.com
A modern, stylish restaurant offering a sophisticated, varied menu and a huge range of drinks.
The Malmaison hotel brand is known for its modern, vibrant styling, an aesthetic reflected in the smart, clean lines of its restaurant. The compact fixed-price seasonal menu should appeal to most, but steak aficionados in particular may wish to venture onto the considerably lengthier à la carte. Starters include rich, deeply flavoured chicken liver mousse with truffle butter, exceptionally good and well worth turning a blind eye to the calorific consequences. Sirloin is just one of the 28-day aged beef options among the mains, presented pink and yielding, although it may be prudent to be sparing with the powerful peppercorn sauce. Meanwhile, the Chez Mal burger is well-seasoned and suitably satisfying. Desserts are far from an afterthought; both sticky toffee pudding and Seville orange marmalade steamed sponge are perfectly light, moist and free of gloopiness. Service is efficient, the wine list tops out at under £50 and there are myriad additional drink options available from the smart bar next door.
- Private dining: 4 rooms, capacity 8–65 people
- No. overnight rooms: 100
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Sophisticated lounge music
- Capacity: 64 (40 outdoors)
- Largest group: 44
- Open since: 1994
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 32
- House wine: £20 per bottle