The Ben Nevis
- Telephone 0141 576 5204
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–5pm.
- Website www.thebennevis.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
In almost wilful defiance of the current gastro regeneration of ‘the strip’, this long-standing Finnieston temple to whisky boasts arguably the shortest food menu in the city (pie and beans or bridie and beans). But it’s the single malt that draws the throngs of knowledgeable tourists, locals and students who keep it constantly standing-room-only in this small, street-corner bar. Staff are eager to recommend a dram from the vast selection, arranged library book-style on the precariously high shelves. You can drop big money on some of the rarer nips here; the well-chosen malt of the month (if you’re in luck, it might be the Laphroaig Select) is often the best introduction and is always a bargain at £2.75. A surprisingly broad range of rums and unusual beers like Union’s unfiltered lager Beast Of The Deep mean if you can get that coveted seat by the fire, you may never leave.
- High point: Enthusiastic, knowledgeable staff
- Low point: Constantly busy – be prepared to stand
- Provides: Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Sun, Wed, Thu 9pm–midnight live scottish sessions, traditional folk music
- Capacity: 60
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 2 reviews of The Ben Nevis./5 from RSS feed of these comments