The Bow Bar
- Telephone 0131 226 7667
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30–11.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm.
- Average price £3 pies (lunch)
- Website www.thebowbar.co.uk
A long-standing favourite in the city, the Bow Bar offers a wide range of whiskies and real ales.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
On the historic curve of West Bow and Victoria Street, the Bow Bar remains delightfully traditional despite the many quirky, hipster-filled establishments that have popped up nearby. That’s not to say their choice of tipples is outdated, however. Somehow, this little nook fits in an astonishing 310 single malts, eight cask ales and six kegs. Keeping things local, they dispense beer from Scottish brewers Fyne Ales, Tempest, Cromarty and others, as well as hunting down bottles of Belgian duppel, German lager and good old, all-American beer. If you enjoy your pint with a pie, get down before 3pm, grab a wee wooden table and get your chops round one from Findlay’s of Portobello. During quieter hours, you may be left with only your thoughts for company, but what better time to appreciate this little treasure in all its glory.
- High point: Meet the brewer and tap takeover events show off some of the latest craft beers
- Low point: Crowded times can be chaotic
- Notable dish: Mongozo Coconut Belgian beer
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1984
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle