Rabble Taphouse & Grill
- Telephone 0131 622 7800
- Opening times Mon–Sun 11.30am–1am.
- Seasonal times Festival: open until 3am
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11.30–1am; Sun noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 8am–10pm.
- Average price £12.50 for to sharing the Lunch Box offer (set lunch); £26 (evening meal)
- Website www.rabbleedinburgh.co.uk
'Rough luxe' uptown bar-brasserie attracting style-conscious office workers and partygoers with cocktails, beer from copper tanks and low and slow grills.
After 17 years, the Montpeliers group have retired the once style-setting Ricks. Now relaunched as Rabble (as in lively crowd, not angry mob), Edinburgh’s first ‘rough-luxe’ low and slow taphouse and grill is already pulling in the aforesaid crowds for post-work or pre-night-on-George Street cocktails and unpasteurised beer poured from copper tanks. The redesign has opened up Ricks’ discreet ‘rooms’ into a see-and-be-seen space of island bar, brass and plywood, diner booths, turquoise banquettes and a bare brick, glass-roofed backroom, with foliage throughout. If dining, you could start with coal-fired asparagus with poached duck egg and hay hollandaise or salt-baked beetroots with crowdie. Splash out on a tomahawk steak for two, cooked for six hours, or a range of not-quite-as-slow-cooked mains done over their open fire pit, like smoked maple-glazed Iberico pork secreto, or an Orkney steak burger. Finish with a hot chocolate espresso martini brownie and ice cream sharing dessert. Some dishes don’t quite live up to the descriptions on the menu and a few teething issues show, but Rabble is already turning that lively crowd into loyal regulars.
- High point: Unpasteurised beer
- Low point: Style-consciousness not for everyone
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 10
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mixed pop
- Capacity: 180
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2017
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 21
- House wine: £19.50 per bottle