Hula Juice Bar and Gallery
- Telephone 0131 220 1121
- Opening times Daily 8am–6pm.
- Seasonal times Late opening in summer, until 10pm during Aug.
- Food served Mon–Sun 8am–6pm.
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.hulajuicebar.co.uk
Juice bar offering an array of fruit and vegetable concoctions made from scratch.
When the sun’s shining, the Hula juice bar is a magnet for students and tourists in the Grassmarket. On a grey day, it’s the perfect antidote to the weather. With a defiantly bright and cheerful interior and a menu that oozes with vitamins, it’s almost guaranteed you’ll feel better by the time you leave. A revitalising salad of raw curly kale, baked butternut squash and uncooked quinoa is packed with added nuts and fruit and works harmoniously with a tangy sweet dressing to make it all pleasure and no pain. Even the more unusual medleys of freshly squeezed fruit and vegetables prove a treat. Try a revitalising warm juice of beetroot, fennel, apple and lemon. This little ray of sunshine could be easy to miss amid the imposing architecture and plethora of eateries in this part of town, but it has deservedly earned itself a healthy reputation with locals.
- High point: Bright friendly staff
- Low point: Cakes not quite as creative as rest of menu
- Notable dish: Smoothies and healthy vegan and vegetarian options
- Private dining: No bookings due to high turnover
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Various, indie
- Live entertainment: Monthly openings for changing art works often have musicians
- Capacity: 45
- Open since: 2007
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…