Hendersons Salad Table
- Telephone 0131 225 2131
- Seasonal times Check website for changes
- Food served Mon–Thu 8am–9pm; Fri/Sat 8am–9.30pm; Sun 10.30am–3.30pm.
- Average price £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk
Healthy, appealing veggie and vegan food in a relaxed setting.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Established in 1962, this is the UK’s second oldest vegetarian restaurant and, like its offshoots (which now include the refurbished upstairs deli/sandwich bar, bakery, round-the-corner vegan bistro, new café on Holyrood Road and occasional market stall), espouses an ethic of ‘Eat Better, Live Better’. The Salad Table, set below street-level with a low-ceilinged, U-shaped layout, remains the most traditional element of the operation. Its day-time canteen service, blackboard menu, evening music sessions, décor and vibe has been left mostly untouched as the management within the Henderson family has shifted a generation over the last few years and change has been focused on other parts of the business. For more than two generations of Edinburgh loyalists, however, that's just the way they seem to like it. The selection behind the glass counter is of wholesome soups and salads, savoury pizzas, stroganoffs, quiches, lasagne and specials, including vegan and gluten-free choices, with desserts as well as an array of cakes. Evenings take on a slightly more formal aspect with table service and an à la carte menu, with a list of beer and wine that includes local, organic and biodynamic options.
- High point: Hearty, wholesome stalwart
- Low point: Disappointing moments of detachment by kitchen and staff
- Notable dish: Mushroom and tarragon soup
Founded by Janet Henderson in 1962, Henderson’s Deli is an Edinburgh institution. Committed to selling wholesome, natural food at reasonable prices, there is also a salad bar downstairs, bistro alongside and an art gallery upstairs. Bread and cakes come from Henderson’s wholemeal bakehouse on the same premises. An array of vegetarian and vegan specialities are available, along with locally grown fruit and vegetables (organic where possible). Salads, soups, sandwiches, ready-made meals and fresh juices are available to takeaway.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 70s/80s/90s classic hits
- Live entertainment: Piano, guitar or jazz music every night, 7–9.30 pm
- Capacity: 150 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1962
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £13.50 (500ml carafe) per bottle
Reviews & features
Take three: Where to get your health kicks8 Jan 2009
● Grassroots 20 Woodlands Road and 93-97 St Georges Road, Glasgow, www.grassrootsorganic.com Glasgow’s premier wholefoods location, with an excellent deli, takeaway and nearby sit-in café-diner that offers a mix of vegetarian and vegan food with…