Hendersons Salad Table
Healthy, appealing veggie and vegan food in a relaxed setting.
Having first opened its doors in 1962, Hendersons is rightly regarded as an Edinburgh institution. The split-level Salad Table restaurant is situated beneath the original shop/deli on buzzy Hanover Street in the New Town and offers two contrasting dining options; the brightly lit, cheerful, self-service canteen area and the more intimate, candlelit dining room, complete with efficient table service and nightly live jazz. To start, lentil and spinach falafel with coconut curry sauce is unlikely to disappoint and lightly battered cauliflower 'wings' come with a kicking barbecue sauce. The mains section features a number of daily specials that are worth exploring but you won’t go far wrong plumping for hasselback aubergines accompanied by a full-flavoured mushroom and walnut ragù. Desserts are sizeable, with both the carrot cake and bakewell tart completely obliterating any remaining hunger pangs. There’s a bijou wine list and a decent range of mainly Scottish bottled beers (including gluten-free and low-alcohol options), plus a good selection of soft drinks and fruit juices.
Founded by Janet Henderson in 1962, Henderson’s Deli is an Edinburgh institution. Committed to selling wholesome, natural food at reasonable prices, there is also a salad bar downstairs, bistro alongside and an art gallery upstairs. Bread and cakes come from Henderson’s wholemeal bakehouse on the same premises. An array of vegetarian and vegan specialities are available, along with locally grown fruit and vegetables (organic where possible). Salads, soups, sandwiches, ready-made meals and fresh juices are available to takeaway.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 70s/80s/90s classic hits
- Live entertainment: Piano, guitar or jazz music every night, 7–9.30 pm
- Capacity: 150 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1962
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £13.50 (500ml carafe) per bottle
Reviews & features
Take three: Where to get your health kicks8 Jan 2009
● Grassroots 20 Woodlands Road and 93-97 St Georges Road, Glasgow, www.grassrootsorganic.com Glasgow’s premier wholefoods location, with an excellent deli, takeaway and nearby sit-in café-diner that offers a mix of vegetarian and vegan food with…