Hendersons Salad Table
- Telephone 0131 225 2131
- Seasonal times Fri/Sat 8.30am–8.45pm if quiet, in the summer they may stay open later if busy.
- Food served Mon–Thu 8.30am–8.45pm; Fri/Sat 8.30am–9.15pm; Sun 10am–4pm.
- Website www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk
Scotland's oldest vegetarian restaurant with an ever-changing organic menu.
With well over 50 years in the Edinburgh dining scene under their belt, the Hendersons name is a byword for vegetarian and vegan food in the city. Inside the subterranean Hanover Street Salad Bar and Restaurant there’s a choice of a relaxed self-service canteen area or a cosy dining room with table service and live music in the form of piano, guitar or jazz six nights a week. With daily changing specials there’s always something new to tempt here but the regulars are worth a look too – there are a number of vegan and gluten-free options, along with organic wines, beers and spirits. The grilled goat’s cheese and caramelised beetroot starter is the perfect balance of sweet and savoury, while for mains there’s a satisfying mountain of creamy mash to accompany the vegetarian haggis. To finish, feast your eyes on the wide selection of colourful desserts on display in the canteen area, with the raspberry meringue cheesecake being a spectacularly sweet finale.
Founded by Janet Henderson in 1962, Henderson’s Deli is an Edinburgh institution. Committed to selling wholesome, natural food at reasonable prices, there is also a salad bar downstairs, bistro alongside and an art gallery upstairs. Bread and cakes come from Henderson’s wholemeal bakehouse on the same premises. An array of vegetarian and vegan specialities are available, along with locally grown fruit and vegetables (organic where possible). Salads, soups, sandwiches, ready-made meals and fresh juices are available to takeaway.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul, pop
- Live entertainment: Gypsy jazz on some Fridays.
- Capacity: 150 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1962
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £21 per bottle
Reviews & features
Take three: Where to get your health kicks8 Jan 2009
● Grassroots 20 Woodlands Road and 93-97 St Georges Road, Glasgow, www.grassrootsorganic.com Glasgow’s premier wholefoods location, with an excellent deli, takeaway and nearby sit-in café-diner that offers a mix of vegetarian and vegan food with…