Hendersons Salad Table
- Telephone 0131 225 2131
- Seasonal times Fri/Sat 8.30am–8.45pm if quiet, in the summer they may stay open later if busy.
- Food served Mon–Thu 8.30am–8.45pm; Fri/Sat 8.30am–9.15pm; Sun 10am–4pm.
- Website www.hendersonsofedinburgh.co.uk
Scotland's oldest vegetarian restaurant with an ever-changing organic menu.
Hendersons has been extolling the virtue of organic plant-based eating since the early 1960s. Their cavernous Salad Table restaurant is split into two areas: a casual canteen-style section and a larger, comfortable dining area, complete with piano. The menu has, to some extent, evolved from the days of lentil burgers although there’s plenty to keep pulse enthusiasts happy. During the day, an array of brightly coloured, wholesome salads is available while in the evening, dishes take inspiration from Scottish and Asian cuisine. A nut loaf is a crumbly, gently herby mixture, encased in pastry and accompanied by mountains of red cabbage. Meanwhile, mushroom gyoza are paired with a vivid orange kimchi with a fresh chilli kick. There are plenty of gluten-free options too, such as sturdy quinoa and potato cakes. Puddings are a highlight, with a vegan chocolate mousse pleasantly smooth (and lighter than its dairy version) and a sticky toffee pudding nicely moistened by dollop of thick custard.
Founded by Janet Henderson in 1962, Henderson’s Deli is an Edinburgh institution. Committed to selling wholesome, natural food at reasonable prices, there is also a salad bar downstairs, bistro alongside and an art gallery upstairs. Bread and cakes come from Henderson’s wholemeal bakehouse on the same premises. An array of vegetarian and vegan specialities are available, along with locally grown fruit and vegetables (organic where possible). Salads, soups, sandwiches, ready-made meals and fresh juices are available to takeaway.
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soul, pop
- Live entertainment: Gypsy jazz on some Fridays.
- Capacity: 150 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1962
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £21 per bottle
Reviews & features
Take three: Where to get your health kicks8 Jan 2009
● Grassroots 20 Woodlands Road and 93-97 St Georges Road, Glasgow, www.grassrootsorganic.com Glasgow’s premier wholefoods location, with an excellent deli, takeaway and nearby sit-in café-diner that offers a mix of vegetarian and vegan food with…