99 Hanover Street
- Telephone 0131 225 8200
- Seasonal times 3am license over Edinburgh Festival and Christmas/New Year/ special events.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 4pm–1am; Fri 3pm–1am; Sat noon–1am; Sun 6pm–1am.
- Website www.99hanoverstreet.com
Busy, upbeat cocktail bar, which takes centre stage on Hanover Street with daily live DJs.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Don't let the deceptively plain exterior trick you. 99 Hanover's sultry interior –an exposed brick wall, softened by ruby velvet cushioning, mood lighting and multicoloured patchwork sofas – is anything but boring. This quirky atmosphere comes to life with a daily DJ set which proves particularly popular with young professionals on Friday and Saturday evenings. You can expect drinks that promise to be '10 out of 10 fun, 10 out of 5 value and x32 speed'. These are outlined in the foolproof drinks report which unpretentiously displays the ingredients and dilution of each cocktail, alongside an illustration of its vessel. A balanced blend of sweet and sour pervades the cocktail list, featuring drinks like Gin 'N' That containing mint, apricot preserve, lemon, crème de pêche and Tanqueray gin, and more unusual combinations which mix tequila and prosecco. If these don’t take your fancy, the spirited bartenders are more than happy to whip up the classics on request.
- High point: The go-to spot for kicking off the weekend
- Low point: Unless you've booked in advance, be prepared to stand
- Notable dish: Kaffir Daiquiri
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Funk / soul / disco
- Live entertainment: DJs every night of the week (Mon–Thu 9pm–1am; Fri/ Sat 5pm–1am; Sun 6pm–1am.)
- Capacity: 180
- Largest group: 180
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £19.50 (£10 wine of the week deal) per bottle
Reviews & features
Five reasons to go to . . . 99 Hanover Street31 Jul 2015
Goldie, Optimo and Nightmares on Wax among festival highlights
Unleashed from its 11-months-a-year double life as one of Edinburgh’s most stylish and centrally located bars, 99 Hanover Street takes on a more clubby atmosphere during the Festival, aided by its legendary Thursday night guest parties.